Sunday, June 14, 2009

Pachycephalosaurus

This is a post about dinosaurs. Well, actually, it's a post about dinosaurs and people. "What," you may ask, "do dinosaurs have to do with decorating?" Admittedly, not much, but people have a lot to do with decorating.

I love my work. I love everything about it (with the possible exception of quarterly taxes). I love applying my creativity. I love problem solving. I love the variety of tasks with which I am faced-- one day I'll organize an office and the next I'll pick paint colors for a nursery. But my favorite aspect of my work is having the opportunity to meet and work with terrific people. It sounds corny--OK, it sounds really corny--but it's true.

On Friday, I worked with a great family that included four children. When I first arrived at their home, my client's son showed me an animal poster that he'd made. I commented on his great spelling, and he announced that he could spell the names of many animals, including the name of his favorite dinosaur, pachycephalosaurus. Given that I'd never even heard of this particular dinosaur, I was impressed--I don't encounter many dinosaur experts in my line of work.

While his mom and I were busy discussing kitchen cabinet hardware, window treatments, furniture placement, and the merits of Sherwin Williams paint, the resident dinosaur expert was busy creating another poster listing every single dinosaur that he knew. Around 35 total. From memory. When it came time for me to leave, he folded up the poster and presented it to me as a gift.

Like I said, my favorite aspect of my work is having the opportunity to meet and work with terrific people. Dinosaurs don't have a lot to do with decorating, but people do.